Monday, April 12, 2010

Prague


This is my fourth and final night in Prague. I initially had my skepticisms about visiting Eastern Europe; expecting a cold and bleak post-soviet backwater wherever I would land. That and whenever someone tried to pitch to me the idea, their resoning pettered out after "well...you gota go to Prague..." As if there was nothing else out there. Perhaps my generalizations were not totally unfounded.


But I will admit that Prague has proven an excellent visit. Here are some reasons:
1. Typical Czech cuisine has been inexpensive and substantially comprised of meat, bread, and meat in large portions, served in the sauce of the meat.
2. You can ride the metro for "free." Well..they sell tickets that you have to stamp to validate before entering, otherwise you get fined. But apparently the city doesn't actually employ anyone to enforce this policy so everyone just rides for free. I think the system relies heavily upon goodwill and naive tourists.
3. All the buildings are painted different colors!


I also had my very first clubbing experience here. These French Guys were pretty alright and had a car. The club was, well, in a building. I don't think I'm the clubbing type necessarily but I did appreciate the infestructural elements. Such as 4/5 floors of throbbing bass and dancing that certainly shook me at my foundations if not the club's. And the lighting was great and technical and properly optic. One room had the floor tiles that light up in random squares while above were wooden dragons exhaling fake smoke. The top floor was the quiet floor where you could take a load off the weary dancing dogs.

I came away with a few conclusions:
1. I. Hate. House Music. - I guess I did like the visceral stimulation from massive amounts of low frequency rhythm; but I'm not paying 200czk to listen to re-mixed mashups of the Spice Girls. I think I was the only person there who found this incredibly hilarious/humiliating.
2. Sobriety is better left at maybe. Sorry I know I have relatives out there (hey Nonie) and maybe future employers (probably not). Trying to be helpful.
3. If you don't like dancing you can always stand by the railing and make sure no one steals the jackets (get's hot in there!).


Well this has been an update of lists. I'm off to Wroclaw tomorrow/today/whever this get's posted. My watch broke so I've just been swimming in and out of time.

1 comment: