Thursday, April 15, 2010

Guttentad


On my last night here in Wroclaw, Poland. Nice hostel, crappy town. I was able to find a good park near one of several cathedrals where I could relax. I've already finished both George RR Martin books that my parents brought me and with so much down time I needed another novel. So on my way out of Prague I browsed the train station book store. Their English selection was mostly pop-novel "best sellers" and I ended up walking away with Twilight, to my and the cashier's mutual amusement. It was that or "The Lipstick Confessions" - or something similar by the lady who is responsible for Sex in the City.

Obnoxious sexual tension with vampires was a better choice. Honestly, I guess I can see why Twilight caught so much flak (especially from the militant feminist sector). But the negative mob thought against it was itself kind of ridiculous. It's an easy chick-flick monster novel - so whatever - it's a story. Also the last few segments were pretty of riveting. So I didn't actually come away with a feeling like my time was wasted as I had been led to believe.

Of course now I'm left with the problem of being without a book again. Twilight went faster than I expected (not really a page turner (for me), just short). I wasn't necessarily left with a sense of longing and wonder for the rest of the series; things are pretty well wrapped up by the end without any undue cliff-hangers. I might just skip the second and third books and just go right to the vampire-god sex that everyone else had to wait a cumulative 1200 pages to get to.

Like I mentioned, Wroclaw is kind of boring and exploring the city took less than a full day. The hostel is not terribly populated this time of year providing for a lack of bar-buddies. So I spent last night with some wine, beer, starcraft pro-matches and reading "first impressions" from the starcraft 2 beta testing. All in all a good night.

I think tomorrow I'm going to Berlin. Probably.



And here's a picture from a few weeks ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment